copyright © Susan Taylor Aldridge

Saturday, December 5, 2009

1787 Will of Nicholas Browning of Culpepper VA

Nicholas Browning is the brother of John Browning (Sr.) who died leaving a will recorded in Greene Co GA in 1803. See entry below. I dont know his actual place of death. Nicholas Browning's nephew John Browning (Jr) kept a Bible (published in Philadelphia in 1803). John Browning Jr's nephew Daniel Browning was the first birth recorded in it. So John or wife Nancy started keeping the Bible maybe 1804 and the first recording he has is for a1790 birth. The Bible records list the death of John Jr.'s brother Francis Browning on 18 July 1855 at age 101 and 7 months 24 days. (12 Dec 1754) The same time period that John Jr's uncle Nicholas Browning was having children. I use "Jr" because "Jr" is used in a deed recording in Greene Co GA.

Note: Dottie Elliott of Tulsa, OK (1/1/96) writes: "Although many Browning researchers view EFB's book (cited above) as "gospel," I am one of many others who recognize he made numerous mistakes. ...For example, the children he lists for John and Elizabeth (Demarest) Browning aren't the same children named in John's 1803 Greene Co., GA will. The same is true for the children of Nicholas and Sarah Washburn Browning. ...I'm one of the Browning researchers who believes that the line of Francis Browning and Elizabeth Lloyd didn't descend from Capt. John Browning. Although Capt. John was a colorful character and it would be fun to be descended from him, we believe many of the southern Brownings came from Thomas and Hester Browning. Thomas and Hester came to the U.S. from England about 1652 and settled in Maryland. Their descendants scattered to VA, TN, NC, SC, KY, etc. We also believe E.F.B. left out a generation in his lineage. I believe the Francis who married Elizabeth Lloyd was the son of Francis & Rachel (Merritt/Marriott) Browning, not John Browning. That Francis' father was a John."

Nicholas was a farmer who in 1760 owned 80 acres in Culpeper County, Virginia, and that October purchased 100 more. (Browning Genealogies, 1908, page 448.)

1761 WILL: Culpeper County, Virginia, WB A-242, 4 December 1760. John and his brother Nicholas, adn Thomas Bywaters were witnesses to the Culpeper will of Francis Browning III, recorded 19 February 1761.

1787 WILL: Caswell County, North Carolina, RB B-166.

Nicholas Browning
Recorded in Book B folio 166 Caswell County N. C.

I. Nicholas Browning of the state of North Carolina and county of Caswell being weak in body but of sound mind, memory and understanding do this twenty third of October in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty six make and publish this my last Will and Testament and none other. First I recommend my soul to god and my body to be buried in a Christian manner at the desecration of my executor as I shall nominate and appoint and as to the worldly estate where with it hath pleased god to bestow me, I do dispose of the same in manner and form following. --Viz-- Item First I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Sarah, the third part of all my estate real and personal as not to disturb Joseph Jones where he now lives; Secondly, at her death for all the land to be sold to the highest bidder and equally divided between my two daughters, Sarah and Jean to them and their heir and assigns for ever. Item: I give and bequeath to my son Enos Browning, one feather bed and furniture to him, his heirs and assigns for ever. Item, I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Jean, one feather bed and furniture and forty shillings in money more than those above mentioned; Thirdly; after these legacies are taken out of my estate, Enos and daughter Jean; the remainder that is left to be equally divided between my two daughters above mentioned to be sold and equally divided; Fourthly; my son Francis, John, Charles and my daughters Mary and Elizabeth I cut off from having any part or right or title to any of my estate where with I am now posses with only one shilling sterling to each of them at my decease. Fifthly; I nominate and appoint Edmond Browning my beloved Brother and Joshua Browning my hole and sole executors of this my Last Will and Testament, revoking all other wills or wills, and this only to be my Last Will and Testament and none other in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day an date before written.
Nicholas Browning

Signed Sealed and Delivered, in presence of Isaac Corin and James Hopper

Marriage 1 Sarah WASHBURN b: ABT 1713 in Virginia
Married: ABT 1744 in Orange County (later Culpepper County) , Virginia
The children cut out of the will had probably already moved on to other parts of the US and Nicholas wanted to make sure the property he was leaving went to those he knew needed it and would use it.
Children as listed in will:
Sarah BROWNING
Jean BROWNING
Enos BROWNING b: 1751 in Culpeper County, Virginia Virginia
Francis BROWNING
John BROWNING
Charles BROWNING , Sr b: 1754 in Culpepper County, Virginia Mary BROWNING
Elizabeth BROWNING

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers